Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash

Like most of the other tasks I’ve been presented with this week, setting up a blog was an entirely new experience for me. I have never created a webpage before and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was easier than I thought it would be. Thank goodness for templates!

Despite the very helpful and simplified step-by-step instructions Rich provided for us, I did struggle a little bit when I missed a step in the clone zone process. Luckily, this was one of those instances when I could just delete my mistake and try again. No harm, no foul. I’m looking forward to playing around with this page and making it my own.

Once I’m comfortable with this platform, I can imagine a couple of ways blogs may be useful in a high school classroom. First, I think blogs could be effective simply as a communication tool for teachers to let their students (and parents) know what will be covered in the upcoming week or to remind them of assignments and due dates. Second, blogs could be used by the students as an informal writing platform which would allow for comments and discussions among classmates. However, engaging in these types of activities would require the introduction of very clear guidelines around what acceptable and appropriate comments look like. Lots to learn.